Re: Mac's Starter

Mac-

First of all, we are glad that your bride has returned home in time for the
kids to be old enough to really appreciate Disneyland. Ashke is probably big
enough to go on the big kid rides by now.

I have been replacing starters quite a bit over the last two years. I have
found that heat tends to wear them out faster. That factory heat shield is a
good idea. They put it there for a reason. When you take the starter off,
painting that heat shield with something reflective is a good idea, too. I'm
hopeful that one of the brighter members of the board can suggest something.
I was thinking of powdercoating mine, but I'm not sure if the powdercoating
would hold up to the heat of the exhaust pipe. On the other hand, I'm sure
that the starter "won't."

I have also found that the remote relay setup makes a difference. The
solenoids to not fail as often when there is a full 12 volts going to them.
(technical reasons withheld for another thread) When the trigger wiring or
the battery cable is sub standard, failures are more common. I pay about 8
bucks at checker for the solenoids, and about 4 bucks for the extra cable.
It takes about an hour to install, and makes life far easier in many ways. I
have been mounting them to the inner fender with self tapping screws, and
the curvature of the fender applies good tension. Obviously, you need a
screw gun of some sort for that, but I'm sure you can come up with a way
that will work. A small drill bit for a pilot hole makes the job fun. A
separate jumper to a good ground insures reliability.

Have fun at Disneyland.