RE: Mac's Starter

## >> ---Didn't you replace the starter on the T'all recently? I
## >> could swear you
## >> had problems, but maybe that was with the 800. Either way,
## >> are the starters
## >> the same on the 800 and the Travelall? <hint>

you had it right the first time.  i replaced the starter in the TravelAll
*TWICE* in the week before we came east to texas.  i took both dead starters
in and had them rebuilt by a place i know and trust.  $75.00 per starter,
but i felt it was more than worth it.  in the time that we have been here, i
have now used both rebuilt starters to replace faulty starters in trucks
here.  except that one of those rebuilts is the one that fried this morning.

yes, the starters are the same between the 152 in the 800, the 392 in the
800A, the 392 in both 1010 and 1110, as well as in both of my first 304s, my
new 304, both 345s, and my waiting to be rebuilt 392.  except for a slightly
shorter nosecone and thicker mounting flange, the starter from my BD220 is
also the same.

i still have one old starter from the 800 that was replaced with one of my
rebuilt starters (the rebuilt is still in the 152, works great).  i tried
swapping pieces from the two starters to get one good one, but no dice.  now
i'm thinking i'll have the best pieces cobbled together from both starters
rebuilt if i can find a good local rebuilder, and then take what's left and
trade that in as my core on a Checker starter.

## >> two options, swap in the one that was supposed to be lifetime
## >> as a core on a
## >> new lifetime, or take their crappy starter back out the door
## >> you came in.
## >> Either way, you still lose the well-built starter that lasted
## >> 20+ years.

none of my current starters is a 20-plus-year-old original.  in fact, none
of them is more than two years old at this point.  i've replaced the starter
in the 800A once, the starter in the 800 once, and the starter in the
TravelAll four times now (this time will make five).  i've even replaced the
starter in my 1010 once, and come to think of it, i replaced the starter in
my Chevy C/10 three times too...  but you know what's funny?  NOBODY has
*EVER* replaced the starter from my BD220.  that's the original 43-year-old
starter i have for it, though it doesn't work now after sitting in the
weather unprotected for 11 years.  it still worked fine last time i tried it
in 1992, though.

i've still got the parts from the starter to my first 304...  i used it for
something (now i forget what) and only have pieces left.

## >> ---The local rebuilder may be the best way to go. Most of
## >> them usually carry
## >> a year warrantee and you shouldn't have any problem with a
## >> quality rebuild,
## >> just have to make sure he is a reputable rebuilder. They will
## >> also work with
## >> you when you need it "TOMORROW" whereas with the auto parts
## >> store, you have
## >> to wait the 2-5 days because they don't have one in stock.

that's the trouble...  i know nothing at all about El Paso and its
"respectable" rebuilders, if it even has any.  i tried calling a couple
places, but i didn't like the responses i got on the phone.  i'll keep
looking, maybe i can find somebody i trust to rebuild my current starters.
we'll see.  for the meantime, though, Becca has requested that i just bite
the bullet and install one of those "lifetime" starters from Checker.  what
i'm thinking i'll do is put the lifetime starter in the 800, pull the
rebuilt working starter from the 800 for the TravelAll, and leave it at
that.

i'll keep you all posted.  the reality is that i'm not doing any of this
till July 1st, so what the heck, i still have time to check stuff out.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi