Mac's Starter

-Mac,

---Didn't you replace the starter on the T'all recently? I could swear you
had problems, but maybe that was with the 800. Either way, are the starters
the same on the 800 and the Travelall? <hint>

---Parts America sure beats AutoZone. I would take the Checker starter
before I would consider AutoZone and I would go with the NAPA if money
weren't an issue. Regardless of lifetime, they are not* lifetime replacement
"forever" so to speak. After so many replacements in a certain period of
time, they will drop you right where you stand. You then will be left with
two options, swap in the one that was supposed to be lifetime as a core on a
new lifetime, or take their crappy starter back out the door you came in.
Either way, you still lose the well-built starter that lasted 20+ years.
Sorry, I just don't like AutoZone for my Scout. Seems to me that too many
IHC owners have had the same experience, and I even on customer vehicles,
have taken Delco starters back so many times to them, that were less than a
year old. Go with Checkers before them and NAPA if you have the $$.

---The local rebuilder may be the best way to go. Most of them usually carry
a year warrantee and you shouldn't have any problem with a quality rebuild,
just have to make sure he is a reputable rebuilder. They will also work with
you when you need it "TOMORROW" whereas with the auto parts store, you have
to wait the 2-5 days because they don't have one in stock.

---All of this I am sure you have already given thought to, so I guess it
can be considered backing up theory.

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)