Re: Re[2]: The Solution & Another Exhausting Problem: (Was: Re: When It Rains, It's Dead!)

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 02:53  PM, Colin Gebhart wrote:

Hi John,

Possibly this is some type of foam I have not tried.  The 2 types of
foam I am specifically speaking of are the "Great Stuff" soft and hard
formulations.  I have used both and while they would do fine
supporting the bottom of a shower stall as far as weight due to the
large surface area, they are far from water resistant when the shiny
outside skin is breached.  And they both get relatively soft when
worked down with sandpaper.

Laters, Colin.

Thanks for the information, Colin. I didnt know that.

Pete, what I used on my SSII to replace a big chunk of missing rear
fender (From racing in the alkali ponds in the desert) was Tiger Hair,
which is a very stringy resin and strands of glass (I guess). I got it
from JC Whitney and it was pretty cheap and would fill very large
spaces with just  a piece of coarse screen behind it.  Could you shove
some brass or stainless steel wool down in that crack and then fill it
with Tiger Hair?

My repaired fender stayed intact for as long as I could track my
ex-Scouts whereabouts.

John