Re: air shock thought

Terry Rust wrote:

> Just one thing that I haven't seen mentioned regarding air shocks, if you
> air them up enough to carry the weight of the vehicle plus any load,  you
> have, in effect, made the shock mounts load bearing suspension points. I
> doubt that they'll last long term in this role, plus you've really
> stiffened the suspension to where it has minimal travel. I would suggest a
> set of overload coils (cheaper than air shocks anyway) with stiffer or
> variable rate shocks to restore an inch or so without stiffening up the
> suspension and running the risk of shearing a shock mount and having the
> body settle even further down on the springs.
>
> FWIW
>
> Terry  Rust
>
> No good can ever result from any attempt to set one of these fiery zealots
> to rights, either in fact or principle. They are determined as to the facts
> they will believe, and the opinions on which they will act. Get by them,
> therefore, as you would by an angry bull; it is not for a man of sense to
> dispute the road with such an animal."
> Thomas Jefferson, Letter, 24 Nov. 1808, to his grandson

Terry-

So where does one attempt to find a set of rear overload springs for a
1974 IH Wagonmaster?  Any ideas?  Will just anyone have them (that has
springs) or will I have to have them custom fabbed?  Cost?
Also, who was Thomas Jefferson speaking of when he wrote the quote in
your sig file?

Michael