Re: Air Shock Lift idea

> Mike,
>
> Air shocks are a bad idea all around!
>
> For starters, they transfer the vehicle weight from the springs (where it's
> supposed to be of course) to the shock mounts.  The shock mounts are *not*
> designed to support the weight of the vehicle.  The shocks are only there to
> dampen movement... not lift the truck!
>
> Second, they will most definitely stiffen the ride considerable if attempt to
> use them to raise the truck.
>
> I've had experience trying this air shock thing with a heavily loaded Ford van
> I once drove for a former job.  It was a horrible waste of money when the real
> solution was new springs, etc.
>
> Sorry... but I don't won't lie to you... you won't be happy with the lame
> results.
>
> Regards,
>
> John L.

John-

Thank you very much!  This is exactlt the kind  of input I was looking
for.  Ken Farmer had told me pretty much the same thing, but looking
into all of the alternatives, none seemed too good.  Are there any other
options.  I was going to just get smaller tires, but the wheels
themselves that are on this truck are pretty wide, and I am not sure
what size I would have to move down to to get non-rubbing tires.  I
don't want to go all the way down to low profile "lowrider" tires!  I
would just like the thing to look stock, basically, or slightly
bigger/nicer tires than stock.  I know that new springs would cost a
couple of hundred, and am not sure how much they are going to add.  I
also don't want to trust some tire shop rookie to tell me what will
work, just to have them changed and have them still rubbing.

Thanks!

Michael