My Brakes

John-  Well, the fact of the matter is, I don't REALLY know if my brake
system is in good working order or not  : )  The reason I said it was in
good shape is b/c a "mechanic" told me "the brakes were fine" and that was
"just the way Scout brakes work".  I was also told that my m/c & booster
"looked" new.  Being new to Scouts, I just always assumed IH's did not have
good brakes.  I also have a point of reference b/c I have driven many older
light and medium duty work trucks (meaning, I do not expect my '79 Scout to
brake like a '99 Porsche).  However, I find that if I am on the slightest
downhill grade at a stop light, I have to use TWO feet to keep from running
over the car in front of me.  This is the "hardest to stop" vehicle I have
ever driven.

Can anyone help me diagnose how to determine if my m/c and booster are
working correctly?  Are there any other components I should look at (my
front rotors, front pads, and rear brake pads look very new)?  Should I
just replace m/c and booster?

TIA,
Skip