Re: My Brakes

The aliens commander decided ldupliss@domain.elided would make a perfect
specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>John-  Well, the fact of the matter is, I don't REALLY know if my brake
>system is in good working order or not  : )

Skip,

When I first purchased my Traveler, I was a little concerned about the
unusually high (to me) pedal pressure needed to stop the truck.  I've had
many trucks in the past and this just didn't seem right.  I did a complete
brake job which did *not* include rebuilding or replacing the master
cylinder or booster.  The high pedal pressure was just as bad as before and
I still didn't like it.

I had checked and replaced the vacuum line running from the intake manifold
to the booster, to include the check valve.  Next I replaced the master
cylinder... no improvement.  Then I rebuilt the booster and *voila*... a
huge improvement!  While the brakes still fall far short of the sensitivity
of the four-wheel disk brakes on my light weight Subaru, you'd never need
two feet on the pedal.

I'm telling you this because I'm willing to bet you have a worn out booster
in need of replacement.  Just make sure the booster vacuum line and check
valve are not leaky first.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT