Re: electric car dieing?

Eric:

GM was leasing the EV1 around here and down in LA too. I saw a $299 or
$399/month figure in the ad in the paper, for a 36 month lease. That being
a "pure" lease. They want it back at the end of 36 months, no questions
asked. You had to pay to install the 220V charging system at your house.

And, I still wasn't impressed. As much as I am a great candidate for one of
these cars as I commute 80 mile round trip every day; I work in a municipal
tranist operation; we've added "charging stations" to all our newer
facilities in anticipation of electric vehicles, it jus isn't cost
effective. I could drive my Scout for about the same cost/mile every day,
and I'll still own it at the end of 36 months.

I was disappointed.

The reason they want it back of course, is as the article said, that is
about when the specialized batteries are expected to go and thier
replacemetnt will cost thousands if not ten thousand, and that pretty much
makes the whole thing a useless mess.

Tom H. (who wishes electric cars were all they claim they are)