RE: Balancing Flywheels for 345/392

>>From the MT-124 parts manual:  1000D thru 1500D
>
>Crank pulley is the same  304-345-392,  369 721 C1;  266 is different,  227
>709 R1; but I think only because in the listing in this book the 266 is two
>piece, 304,345,392 is one piece.
>
>Flywheel  266-304; 151 117 R21
>	   345-392; 151 115 R31
>Is this only because they are drilled for different clutches?
>
>Crankshaft is different for each engine  266, 242 877 R92; 304, 242 878 R92;
>345, 242 879 R92; 392, 874 884 R91.  These are part numbers for standard
>size with bearings.
>
>Kurt

Thanks Kurt!!

That settles it--they changed the bob weights on the cranks to balance the
different engine sizes of the same stroke, and it _IS _OK_to mix and match
flywheels and flexplates from one engine to another!

But DOES leave me wondering how come I KNOW I got a front pulley off of a
304 a while back which was JUST a pulley--no rubber damper or ring on it!
Mebbe that pulley came from a 266 in an earlier life, or mebbe early 304's
came that way, but the plain pulley got superceded by one with the damper!

Also makes me wonder just how much Mallory metal I would have to add to a
good 0-0 345 crank in order to balance it internally AND use it to build a

But thanks for getting us a definitive answer for flywheel swapping!!

Regards, Greg