RE: My new Travelall - taking stock

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Farmer wrote:

> Tom Mandera gibbered:
> > Scraped some more grime away.. what do I spy but the numbers and letters
> > - "V392E"  <VBG>
>
> lucky, lucky, lucky.  Yup, just Rik wrote, now you have a dilemma on your
> hands!  Hmmm, how fast can you swap engines Tom?

I can get a motor out in about 3 hours I think.. swap motors from one to
the other in a day or a weekend.. ;-)

I cleaned up the interior some.. picked up garbage on the driver's floor,
found a one square foot sheet of sheet metal.. picked it up to toss it
out.. WOAH.  Where's my floor???

Crawled underneath.. driver's side body mount is pretty ugly.. big hole
in the floor to go with it.. d'oh.  Passenger side isn't terminal yet.

Looked at the tops of the inner fenders.  Driver's side has an angle
where the hinge is, passenger side doesn't - and it has a thin line of
rust through just below the hinge.

Rear cargo floor is OK, since someone already cut out the factory floor
mat (forward edge is still there).  The panel that's over the tailgate
was off, and there's a 2x4 inside the tailgate, in the middle.

E-brake cable has been cut.  I have one regular muffler, one glasspack.

Ignition is disconnected - no cap on the distributor, and the coil is
not wired up.. and of course, the intake is off.  I ordered the gaskets
for $9.

I can't find the oil dipstick.. the pan looks "clean" with no dipstick
hole, and I could only find the dipstick for the 727 on the passenger
rear of the motor.

Passenger front door outside handle is broken - can't open the door from
the outside.

Brakes work.  Power drums.  A few of the spring bolts are trashed, along
with the bushings - Joel, what're those replacment bushings again?

The Kelsey-Hayes (I think that was it) trailer brakes are wired into the
hydraulic system, but none of the 3 wires on the brakes are attached to
anything.. there's a plug under the left side of the column that's
missing 3 of the wires that used to go through it..

Looked at the Heater switch - it goes something like "A/C Def Vent Heat"
or some such.. importantly, AC.

Of course, it looks like the OE AC condensor is still in place, but wired
into the 727 (also into the 3-row rad).  Not much room in the center of
the radiator to add back an additional AC condensor.  (this condensor is
a double row!)

Here and there I found a few more interesting things I expected to find..

Heck, for $200, the 392 was worth it..

I ran jumper cables from my Scout to the Travelall and started playing -
I can't get the rear tailgate open with the window up..

Headlights work, and the 4-ways almost worked.. passenger front light
didn't blink.. Turn signals didn't work, and i couldn't get the tailgate
window to go down with the toggle on the left of the dash.

Does the key need to be in the ignition for turn signals and the rear
window?  The previous owner's tracking down the keys to get to me on Monday..

It's going to need some work and some time figuring out who's done what
to where.. but it's not terminal.  The driver's floor and body mount is
the single ugliest thing..

Oh, rear anti-sway bar, but one of the attachments to the frame is
broken, and it could use all new bushings, too.

Time to go relax.. and play in the snow on my way to the lake.. ;-)

I should finish up the film and maybe drop it off tomorrow..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
3 Scout IIs, and a '72 Travelall