Re: two transfercases

"Thomas J. Harais" wrote:
> We've talked about it, but I think the only folks that have done it were
> written up in the 4X rags - they can't be real people who really go 4
> wheeling, can they?

Eric Stude, Tom.  The same guy with the 6.9L.  It exists.  I've seen it.
;)

> get more torque mulitiplication. My question is, can that second case handle
> the torque mulitplication of the first? And, if it can, how about further
> down the line, like your axles or differential?

You use a stronger second 'case.

> If you gear your IH V-8 down low enough, you could move a house with it.
> But, will the drivetrain behind the engine be up to the task?

That's another trick.  It *can* be a problem.. OTOH, 2wd-low is a "no
no" as well.. but I use it regularly when I want to maneuver a trailer
very slowly or something along those lines.  Are you really USING 2X the
torque or are you using 1/2 the speed?  With a double low.. are you
using 4X torque, or just 1/4 speed?

It's all about driving style.  I broke a Dana 20 and a transer case in
2-HI... all you have to do is rev it up and drop the clutch. ;-)