Re: Spring over questions.

josad@domain.elided wrote:
> ok, this just popped into my mind.  any reason why I can't take the new
> housing, and gears down to the local tranny shop and have them put it
> together before I start this project?  It's gonna be a 2wd anyhow for a

You're going to new gears?  Sure.  You could get the housing from Maulis
(Curt thinks it'll be close 'nuff.. and it probably would be.  If it
*is* off to far it's just some additional work to play with shims) and
have everything setup and ready to go.  You'll probably need to wait to
put your outer knuckles, spindles, rotors, and axle shafts in..

> bit after the conversion while waiting for custom driveshafts.  I figure

That's what I'm thinking when I get to this project.. 2wd for a bit..

> just cut a 1/4 flat cover for the old housing to keep out dirt, it should
> still work as a 2wd truck right?  and I can pull the rest of the parts in
> wy and swap them in, right?  any reason why this won't work?  am I
> missing something?

Flat cover?  If you have gears in the new housing, there's no way a flat
cover would work.  And the new housing won't go into the truck until the
old one comes out.. so you could then tear the old down to put the axle
shafts, spindles, knuckles, rotors, etc. on the new axle..

> get the twisted axle and do the reverse shackle, i'm looking at ~$350
> but then theres 2 new driveshafts at ~$200 each, 4 new shocks ~$100 and
> tires, i'll probably get a pair of 33's used, they're everywhere here,
> but thats ~$200.

So where's that cheap? ;-)  Compared to my $800 or better in a
spring-under lift?  No new driveshafts, but 4 new springs, shipping.
Both lifts share longer brake lines and shocks.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout