Re: Spring over questions.

josad@domain.elided wrote:
> >You're going to new gears?  Sure.  You could get the housing from
>
> to do as much as possible ahead of time, i'm doing this to my daily
> driver, I want to be able to take a week off work, run up to Wy and put
> together all the parts i've assembled together.  won't be as hard, i've
> decided to skip the reverse shackle for now, I need to study it more, I
> don't understand it.

In that case, take a weekend and tear down your front axle.  Remove the
axle shafts n' gears.  You can then put your spindles back on and your
hubs n' rotors.  Then you can have the gears setup in the new housing
and the axle shafts installed.  Leave the cover on your runner.

When it comes time for the swap, you'll just need to remove the knuckles
from your running axle (after you pull the hubs/rotors/spindles) and
swap it across.  Axle shafts'll be ready n' such.. and reassemble the
ends.

> >So where's that cheap? ;-)  Compared to my $800 or better in a
> >spring-under lift?  No new driveshafts, but 4 new springs, shipping.
> >Both lifts share longer brake lines and shocks.
>
> cheap?  well I'm doing almost all the labor myself, except mounting tires
> and twisting axle, I could take it to a local shop, pay 2-3K for them to
> do it....

What I meant was - the Spring Over will cost you every bit as much as a
4" suspension lift "off the shelf".  SO would cost more if you don't do
the labor yourself.  It's still not "cheap".. the two lifts are about
comparable on price - though after living with a 4" suspension lift for
a year, I have to think the spring over would be the way to go for an
off-road play-thing and daily driver.  I dunno.. ask me in another year
after I have a spring over how well I like it... ;-)

-Tom