Re: two transfercases

>"Thomas J. Harais" wrote:
>> We've talked about it, but I think the only folks that have done it were
>> written up in the 4X rags - they can't be real people who really go 4
>> wheeling, can they?
>
>Eric Stude, Tom.  The same guy with the 6.9L.  It exists.  I've seen it.
>;)
>
>> get more torque mulitiplication. My question is, can that second case handle
>> the torque mulitplication of the first? And, if it can, how about further
>> down the line, like your axles or differential?
>
>You use a stronger second 'case.
>
>> If you gear your IH V-8 down low enough, you could move a house with it.
>> But, will the drivetrain behind the engine be up to the task?
>
>That's another trick.  It *can* be a problem.. OTOH, 2wd-low is a "no
>no" as well.. but I use it regularly when I want to maneuver a trailer
>very slowly or something along those lines.  Are you really USING 2X the
>torque or are you using 1/2 the speed?  With a double low.. are you
>using 4X torque, or just 1/4 speed?
>
>It's all about driving style.  I broke a Dana 20 and a transer case in
>2-HI... all you have to do is rev it up and drop the clutch. ;-)

Yep--it's just as simple as keeping your foot out of it when in
granny--with enough gear, it can idle through anything. Also a nice place
for a hand throttle--just set it to a fast idle, and let 'er go.

I still say that the best approach to a compound low for one of the big
iron NP cases would be to figure out how to adapt (close couple) the low
range reduction case from the front of an NP 203 (the chain type, full time
case) to the front of a 201 or 205. The NP 203's came divorce mounted on
some Dodges, so no problem as to getting the reduction case with a divorce
mount (yoke) input. Plus--you can get surplus, rebuilt 203's for about
$150. This isn't bad, even if all you want is the reduction case.

Of course, if you mount a 3 speed auxiliary with a deep under gear, along
with your overdrive/splitter ratio, the problem is solved. My 1300 4x4 has
about a 143 :1 overall ratio in granny. Believe me, that is "ENOUGH"!

Regards, Greg