Re: Double Low

>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:53:03 -0600
>From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Double Low

>It's been done, John.  Eric Stude in Colorado runs a 6.9L/wide
>T19/modified Dana 20 / NP205 in his 100" Dana 60'd Scout II.
>
>Eric rotated the Dana 20 and redrilled the mounting holes to get the
>front output out of the way and then used the divorce mounted NP205 from
>a T'all or pickup behind it.
>
>Curt Cleavenger was thinking of something similar but he has a Dana 20
>that he removed the front output altogether and had the case welded up.
I gave that case to Erik when I decided to go with the 4:1 dana 300
instead - it may appear in one of Erik's future creations.

>I don't think it's a simple "adapter plate" arrangement.  However, I do
>believe if you put the divorced NP205 behind the Dana 20 in a 100" Scout
>II you'd still be OK on driveshafts.  In fact, it should be just about
>the perfect length - to swap your front (24" long) driveshaft to the
>rear and put your rear (40" long) in front... since the NP205 adds 16".
The thing that scared me away from the double transfer case setup was
that I figured that my rear pinion angle would be about 15 degrees, and
I got worried about the pinion bearing life. I don't think this is a
big deal for a trailered rig, but for a truck that sees a lot of road
miles (including flat towing) it could be a concern.

Later,
  Curt
   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150