Re: thanks for 800 responses and more questions

Bill Wisser wrote:

> As promised, I have more questions.  First, the spare tire is not
> mounted.  Is the Scout wheel a specific entity, or can I just go to a
> tire shop and find one that fits.  I have not found a nearby junkyard
> with any scouts yet,  but I am going to be ordering some stuff from SSS,
> so maybe I'll just get a used one from them.   Did the Scouts come with
> hubcaps from the factory or were the wheels just painted?  Mine are a
> unique blend of old black paint, rust, and mud.  I was thinking of
> stripping them and painting them flat white, but thought I'd asked what
> they are supposed to look like.

I can't advise on the wheels being specific to Scouts, but apparently
hubcabs were an option as alot of the old ads and brochures show Scouts
with them, especially versions like the Sport Top.  The original 16" wheels
I have are painted black and I believe it's the original finish from the
factory.

> On the subject of tires, does anyone make a spare tire swing arm for the
> Scout 800?  I do not want to purchase a whole new bumper.  I saw an old
> ad that showed the Scout with a factory tire mount but I could not tell
> if it was on the tailgate of a receiver-type setup.

I've never seen a swing arm type carrier on an 800, although I'm sure
someone has made one at some point.  I've seen a couple different
variations on the factory carrier, but they all have attached to the
tailgate and rear bumper.  They have a latch mechanism which allows the
tire to be pulled rearward a few inches to allow for opening the upper
tailgate on the Travel Top without fully lowering the tire, at least I
assume that's the purpose.  I haven't yet installed the one I found a
couple months ago at Richard's in Denton, NC.

Last wekend in Charlotte, Kent Robinson was telling me about a yard near
Raleigh called "Junebug's" (not the official business name) that had alot
of International stuff.  Maybe you or Bryan Gillespie are already familiar
with it.  If you figure out where it is, let me know.  If you're
interested, there're a couple places close to Greensboro that have some 800
stuff.  I'd be more than happy to check some of them out with you, or check
for a particular part if you can't get down this way.

Chad Sibert
Jamestown, NC
 '66 800