RE: 7.3 swap

>My opinion on the 446 vs. the 7.3: nothing with spark plugs has any power.
>500 hp is great, but you have to be spinning it at 4000 to get that power.
>How much torque?  Powerstrokes can be upgraded with that Banks kit...I don't
>remember what the specs are, but I believe it's something around 400 hp and
>500 ft-lbs. @ 3600.  I know both torque and hp are almost doubled.  I'm sure
>the diesel will out pull the 446 just because of the higher torque.  And
>since it's running at lower RPM's to do the same work (not to mention
>high-precision fuel delivery controlled by oil pressure) the diesel would
>most likely be much more economical.
>
>Tom Stannard

You are welcome to your opinion, Tom--but---

I'm talking about 660 ft. lbs. from 1600 through 4000 rpm from the 446.
This is more torque than any 7.3 ever dreamed of making. The 7.3's begin to
crack pistons in fairly short order when you ask for anything above about
260 HP.--which is 455 ft lbs @ 3000 rpm. The torque from a Banks 7.3 might
peak at about 500 ft. lbs at about 2200 rpm with a Banks setup.

The best Cummins 6BT hot rod kits get to about 600 ft. lbs, but not at
anything like 4000 rpm.--prolly more like half of that.

If you want torque, the 605 IH I am in the middle of putting together is
gonna make 925 ft. lbs from 1600 thru 4000 rpm. This from a motor which
will weigh in at about 1200 lbs.  and run at least a half million miles.
Yep--that's 705 HP @ 4000 from the 605. Limited to 4000 only by the Allison
converter.

And either one of these setups would not use boost over 8 lbs.

To get this kind of torque, you would need to go to a Cummins 855 (3000 lbs
of it), but for equal horsepower you would need to go to a KT6 Cummins or a
3406 CAT! (And both of these are WAY heavier than an 855!)

Of course, if ya like the smell of diesel, smoke, soot, noise, hard
starting, and a ferociously nose heavy truck, feel free to use a
diesel--the more folks you convince, the less money I will have to spend
for the old gas pots, and the more of them there will be left out there!!!

As to the economy--I never said I was NOT using efi and electronic engine
management, (not to mention air boosted injectors and water injection) but
I will wait to comment until I have some hard results. Obviously I think
they might be rather surprising!

Regards, Greg