RE: overdrive

Tom's mind was racing:

> The *real* challenge.. how do I (first acquire but then) setup a
> Travelette so it can tow my racer (and/or my '77.. get a double > car
flatbed) at 70mph with ease, climb mountains faster than
> 35mph, and get 20mpg?
> Then I wouldn't have to worry about mileage in the 4.88/31s
> racer, or the 4.10/33s street/trail rig.

Tom,

Rather than try to work out a nearly impossible compromise, why don't you go
with the flow:  get *yet another* IH for economy!

All the stuff you remove from the others as being inappropriate for their
purpose, will probably be fine for your economy / reliability IH!

Engine:  196 / Nissan
Tires:   235"
Springs: Saggy stock
Axles:   3.73 / 4.10
Trans:   T-19 Close
XF Case: D20

You could even really fix the body & rust on this one - since you wouldn't
be trashing it on a trail!

So, how much does it cost to register and insure seven vehicles in Montana
each year?

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II  - 1/2 street and 1/2 trail oriented (do I spend
                 big bucks on a paintjob?)
1975 Travelall - 2WD highway-cruisin' street machine
1974 Travelall - 4WD tower, off-roadable