Re: Scout Engines

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:34:01 -0500 DSkirtech@domain.elided writes:

>Mike,
>
>My scout is a 75 Scout II 2-door with the removeable top I believe it
has
>the 345 v-8 but am not sure if it has the 304..
>
>How can I tell for sure....I havent had a whole lot of time to spend on
it
>because i Own and run a company here called Strategic Network Group.
>(Networking, etc). I should know more about it by the weekend when I
have a
>chance to get back under the hood....Waht do I need to look at to
determine
>this?

The V-345 is wider than the 304 at the top by about 1" due to the longer
stroke.  My rule of thumb is to look at the two back bolts of the intake
manifold.  On a 304, these bolts are 8" apart while on a 345, they are 9"
apart, which happens to be about the distance I can span between my thumb
and middle finger.  If I can just touch them, it's a 345;if I can easily
touch them, it's a 304.  There are some other measurements like this that
others use.  I think some of them are posted on the Binder Bulletin BBS.

The official way to tell is to look for the serial number pad on the
passenger side of the engine which also includes the engine size on
it--V345A on the top line and 123456 on the second line for example.
Looking at the passenger side of the engine, this pad is just to the left
of the fuel pump and at the same height as the fuel pump bolts, but it
sticks out to the side of the vehicle further than the fuel pump.  This
pad looks like it's resting on top of the right side motor mount.
Whether the numbers can be read with the engine in the vehicle is another
story, however.

The size stamp is probably the only way to tell an 345 from a 392, unless
the 392 is an improved cooling model with the pipes from the water pump
going into the head rather than the block.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

PS  I did like your tag line on some of your other messages.  At least
it's got some "useful" information.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]