Re: Welding First Project

MikeIIDC@domain.elided wrote:
> lack of concern required aesthetically in this area, and the need for
> strength, the body mounts might be something I could do fairly early on
> in the learning process.  What do you guys think?  I figure I won't be
> able to lay a thin bead, but in this area, no worries.  The more slag
> holding the whole thing together the better!  My biggest concern at this
> point is in finding some decent metal under my body to weld

Michael.. my thoughts exactly!  So long as it's *square* and sturdy, you
can butcher your floorboards to your hearts' content... and cover it
with carpet. :-)

> welding-some plate to put in the body mount areas?  Welding supply, or
> Home Depot kind of place?  Also, where should I look for the tanks fo
> any oxy-acetelene torch set-up?  Same places?  Is there going to be a

Skip the torch, get the MIG.  I think it'd be more useful and more
forgiving.

As for supplies.. I can walk down to ACE Hardware and get some 2x2x1/8"
angle, 4' of it, for something like $10!  *OR* I can go to Pacific Steel
(local steel supplier and recycler) and get 4' of 1/4" thick 3x3 angle
for under $5.

Ever since I've found the time to hit the steel shop during lunch, I've
avoided buying steel from ACE.  I still buy welding rod.. either at ACE
or maybe at Big R Home and Ranch Supply.

Specialty supplies I hit the welding shops (again, 9-5 type places).
That's where I bought my 30 and 35' leads for my AC welder, and the
10lbs box of "cutting rod"

-Tom