Welding First Project

Well, I am once again trying to let the voice of common sense speak to
me and talk me out of buying the Scout I looked at last night.  I think
that if I put that money into a welding set-up, I could probably much
more affordably bring my Scout up to at least the level that it is at.
So my first question is this:  I know we have discussed the "first
project" idea before, but I am thinking that , because of the absolute
lack of concern required aesthetically in this area, and the need for
strength, the body mounts might be something I could do fairly early on
in the learning process.  What do you guys think?  I figure I won't be
able to lay a thin bead, but in this area, no worries.  The more slag
holding the whole thing together the better!  My biggest concern at this
point is in finding some decent metal under my body to weld
reinforcement on to.  Where does one get the metals used for your
welding-some plate to put in the body mount areas?  Welding supply, or
Home Depot kind of place?  Also, where should I look for the tanks fo
any oxy-acetelene torch set-up?  Same places?  Is there going to be a
real difference between the parts in this application purchased from a
mega-store like Home Depot v. a welder's supply shop?  Any input on
tanks?  Knowing my traits and desire to learn this, but also having seen
how many projects I dream of and have no time for, should I even mess
with trying to master the torch, or just go for the simpler welders
we've discussed?
Any more input?
I do have a book that I have been making my way through, but want to
know some more advice from "real-life," not just "book-larnin'"!

Michael