Re: Humble Pie....(worst stuck)

When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in
jbade@domain.elided's head said:

>There have been times when sure, I've helped out a neighbor get his car,
>truck whatever, un-stuck from snow.  But then again, when it snows really
>bad and the weather gets nasty I love to drive around with some tow ropes
>and jumper cables charging people for my services.  (Unless of course they
>are cute)  People are more than glad to pay me 20 vers. 40 or more to
>someone else..

Jeff and others,

Personally, I have a policy that when I do stop to help someone (the
chances of me stopping are proportional to how remote the breakdown is), I
decline payment but make them *promise* they will likewise stop and help
someone else in the same manner.

One time a friend and I were hunting and camped on a remote logging road
deep in the woods.  We were lounging in our heated tent starting to doze
off when we heard giggling and talking outside... it was maybe 9:00pm.  To
the best of our knowledge, we were miles from any other human beings.  I
grabbed my rifle and started for the tent door when a scared voice called
out asking for our help.  It was a group of teens (two guys and a girl) who
had purchased a used van earlier in the day and had decided to go
"cruising" out in the woods... no doubt what they were planning on doing
when they stopped.  Anyway, they had gotten lost and were driving around
looking for the way out of the woods when apparently the van just quit
running maybe a mile from our tent.  They had no flashlight and were
wandering around in the dark.  My buddy and I drove my Scout back to their
van (made them walk) and gave them a jump.  After a few questions I knew it
was their alternator that had failed and the battery had been drained.  I
knew they wouldn't make it far without an alternator, but they insisted on
trying to drive out of the woods after I gave them directions.  We went
back to the tent after we watched them drive off.  We got back to the tent
and just couldn't stand it.  We knew darn well they'd never make it home,
so we grabbed a few valuables from the tent and headed back after them.  To
my surprise they had driven maybe 10 miles on logging roads before the
battery had drained again.  We found the van abandoned and discovered the
kids maybe a mile beyond it.  I've never seen such happy faces in my life.
We drove them all the way back into the nearest town and dropped them off
at home.  We didn't get back to the tent until close to midnight.  They
offered us money, food, whatever, but they knew they couldn't repay the
kindness we had shown them.  Again, I made them swear they would remember
how nice we treated them and they would have to do the same for someone
else.  I don't know if it sunk in they're stupid little heads, but I have
to hope someday they'll grow up to be kind to others.

One time I stopped on the side of the freeway near where I live to help an
older couple who had steam coming out from the hood of their motor home.
The problem was quickly diagnosed as a burst heater hose after we waited
for things to cool down.  I quickly drove back to my house a couple of
miles away and grabbed my tools and a spare length of heater hose.  I fixed
them up all the while noticing the wife was eying me suspiciously, because
I suspect she couldn't believe someone was actually helping them.  Of
course they offered to pay me before I left, but I refused.  It was Sunday
and I felt it was my good dead for the day.  I'd want someone to help my
old folks out if they were ever in a bind.  But the wife *insisted* that I
take something and she literally *threw* a wad of money into my tool box as
I was closing it up.  I didn't care and didn't notice how much it was.
Later when I got back home and was putting my tools away, I found the wad
of bills and peeled off $75.00.  I was shocked to say the least.

I've been helped by strangers many times and by helping others out without
expecting compensation, I feel like it builds good karma.  But if a guy has
a *business* (like a tow truck), of course he needs to get paid.  That
isn't so much helping as it is working.

Just my $0.02 worth.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |