Re: Heater Core Observations

As the little green aliens inserted a searing hot probe into the sternum of
Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>, a blood curdling scream was heard...

>The '77 core, IH Part # 395831-C93 marked clearly in large letters, is
>noticeably narrower.  The '77 core appears to be a 3-row, while the '72,
>I'm guessing, is a 4-row.

Weird.  Part # 395831-C93 doesn't appear in my IH Scout II parts manual.

Here's a break down of what it has for "Core, Heater"

Chassis built prior to 10-5-77...

     437652-C1, 2" Thick
     419833-C1, 2-1/2" Thick

Chassis built 10-5-77 and later...

     483424-C1

There are two different seal part numbers listed that are used to block the
air from going around the heater core.  437652-C1 and 483424-C1 use the same
seal, so we can assume that 483424-C1 is also a 2" thick core, although the
parts manual doesn't specifically say this.

Properly sealing the heater core in the heater case is probably pretty
important to getting hot air into the cab.  If the seal is deteriorated and
gone, plus debris has partially blocked the core, heat output may suffer.

Possibly the heater core you found in your 77 isn't original but may have come
from another non-Scout IH vehicle.  Or possibly it's an IH replacement.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke