Heater Core Observations

Just yanked the heater core from the '72 and the '77.  I pulled the '72
first, and fought the factory gasket to let the core come out.  I'm going
to use some RTV (I'm unsure what colors I have handy) to make a similar
gasket for the reinstallation.. I noticed the remains of a gasket last
week (or so) when I pulled the '77's core.

I yanked the '72 heater core and thought, "wow, that seems bigger.." so
before I pulled the '77 core, I measured the height of both.. 8".  So
they are the SAME height.. recall that the only discrepency between the
Scout II heater cores *to-date* has been one is 1/4" taller than another.

I then yank the '77 core, and.. that looks smaller.  It's also leaking
from the rear bottom (that is, farthest from the in/outlets, and on the
bottom quarter).

The '77 core, IH Part # 395831-C93 marked clearly in large letters, is
noticeably narrower.  The '77 core appears to be a 3-row, while the '72,
I'm guessing, is a 4-row.

The '77 has just "ribbing" on the top and bottom of the core, while on
the '72 core, there is a gasket or plate (haven't determined which, I was
gloved) on the top and bottom of the core, as well as the "caps" on the
front and rear vertical sides.  Thus, with the "plate" on the top and
bottom of the '72 core, I can't guess at how many rows, but it is very
obviously MORE than the '77 core.

Before coming in to post the news (and make a fresh pot o' joe), I
test-fit the '72 core into the '77 heater box.. *IT FITS*.  It is NOT too
wide.

Unfortunately, the '72's core has smaller lettering that has partially
faded/scraped away since it was manufactured (26+ years ago), and not
enough remains for me to even start to give anyone a clue as to the
entire part number.  I can't even tell which direction to read... I
expect it to end in C93, but it looks more like C6 is in there.. which
could be something entirely different (that is, it may not even be the
"C" part, but maybe two different numbers)

A 3-row vs 4-row heater core could certainly explain the difference
between the '72's blister-causing-heater and the '77s-cold-shoulder.  (OK
OK, it was blowing hot air, but it still wasn't about to leave welts on
my ankles)

Somewhere I heard 1980s had better heaters.. but it could've been
confused with the full-dash 1980 A/C or something entirely different.

What I *do* know, is my '72 has a larger heater core than my '77, and my
'72 core is going to fit right into my '77 heater box.

Could someone try to trace down what this (apparently) early Scout II
heater core part number is - different from the 395831-C93 I found in the
'77.  Can the Scout vendors then acquire this part for us still?  And
anyone care to conjecture *why* IH would go from what appears to be a
4-row to a 3-row heater core?  Sure, global warming may be lessening the
need for *so much* heat, but really....

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs