Re: Heater Core Observations

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, John A. Landry wrote:

> Properly sealing the heater core in the heater case is probably pretty
> important to getting hot air into the cab.  If the seal is deteriorated and
> gone, plus debris has partially blocked the core, heat output may suffer.

I re-used what was left of the OEM gasket, and then applied lots of
Copper RTV...

> Possibly the heater core you found in your 77 isn't original but may have come
> from another non-Scout IH vehicle.  Or possibly it's an IH replacement.

Just so we both understand, the numbers are marked on the sheetmetal
"cover" or "cap" on the in/out-put side.  This piece is shaped like a U,
but more like:

_   _
 |_|

With the in and out-let going through the center of this "U".  Just in
case the "cover" or "cap" is a different part number than the actual *core*.

I did find out, the hard way of course, the 2.5" core won't fit into the
2" heater box.. it *almost* fits.. I just couldn't get it to slide in
that last 1/4" or so.. measuring, the "U" cap on the firewall side is
1.75" and 2" (2" core, 2.5" core)..

I ended up yanking the whole heater assembly from the '72 and swapping it
across.  I'll know in the next day or two if that makes a large
difference in the heater.

I have another problem to deal with first..

-Tom