engine rebuild update

I promised to keep everybody updated on my valve job so here it is:
    My valve job has turned into a minor overhaul.  I was going to just do the heads, but my dad
presured me into doing the rings and bearings as well. Just removed the first piston and two bearings.
This was my first piston removal ever, so it was pretty exciting for me. the rod bearing was pretty pitted, I could easily feel the depression with my finger. They plastigauged at .003 wich is within the limts but not by too much, ill probably put in new original size
bearings, or mabey 1 under.
    It just occured to me that If imm going have the heads machined any i need to call up the shop quickly beforre he does my heads. I'm intersted in machining the heads a little to bring up the compression a little, but I want to be able to still use the cheapest
gas, or is the stock IH compression already at the limit for using cheap gas?  Has anybody done this or
know anything about this? If so, how much can be machined and still use cheap gas?
    Grant