Re: Smog Stuff

Carlos:

On my '76 with a 304 and automatic, I always make sure it is well tuned and
it has passed smog. But, the tech had to almost always adjust the idle
mixture, which they seem to hate to do. I was able to get it passed from
1983 when I bought it, on. But, many times I had to either go do some work
on it after an initial test, or let the shop "tune it up" in order for it
to pass. It was all over the place and it drove me crazy.

Finally, in 1997, it wouldn't get below the "gross polluter" level and they
told me to go rebuild the carb. (A Holley 2 bbl) Which I did with dramatic
results. It then passed, with emissions almost as low as my '87 Honda.
Plus, my fuel mileage has improved from 11 MPG to about 14 or 15. Go
figure.

Tom H.