Re: Freeze plug R&R

Afternoon Digesters,

<<I was thinking of maybe drilling a hole in them, inserting a self-tapping
screw and then using a slide hammer to jerk them out. Don't know if there's
enough clearance on the side of the motor to do that though.>>

When I used to do them as a mechanic, I would just hammer a large screwdriver
through it and pry the freeze plug out. Then I would get a 1/2 inch drive
socket that was larger in diameter than the freeze plug, 1/2 inch drive
universal joint and extension, and carefully hammer the new one in.  I would
turn the socket around, so the bottom of the socket was against the freeze
plug. The universal let me hammer it in at an angle. I was able to put one in,
in the back of a head that was about 4 inchs from the firewall, from
underneath. It was difficult, but I did it. They do make freeze plug
installation tools, but I don't remember seeing one when I wrenched for a
living. Besides, where on a covered wagon would I need one.

STeve