Re: Freeze plug R&R

In a brilliant stroke of genius, RLIRELAND@domain.elided blurted out:

>The freeze plugs on my 4-152 are going from a slow seep to some serious
>dripping. Does anyone have any tips on removing and replacing these freeze
>plugs with the engine still in the truck?
>I was thinking of maybe drilling a hole in them, inserting a self-tapping
>screw and then using a slide hammer to jerk them out. Don't know if there's
>enough clearance on the side of the motor to do that though.
>I also thought of draining the coolant, replacing with plain water, park it
>and wait for Mother Nature to take its course but it don't get that cold here.
>;>) Besides, the block always cracks before the so-called freeze plugs blow.

Roy,

If you have room, drill a hole on one side of the freeze plug (right
against the edge) big enough to fit the blade width of a large beefy
screwdriver.  Next, using a flat punch, tap the opposite side of the plug
into the block maybe 1/4" to 1/2".  Depending on the size of the plug and
what's behind it, the plug will likely begin to pivot around sideways.
Whatever you do, stop tapping the plug in if it shows signs of dropping
into the block!  With the plug starting to pivot, use a heavy screwdriver
to pry and lever the plug out of the hole.

I used this method to remove all of the *casting* plugs from the heads and
block of the 392 I'm rebuilding, and it takes mere seconds each.  They come
right out.  The key is to tap the plugs part way in to break them loose.
Prying alone after you drill the hole is almost fruitless.  The plug will
shred and stay put!

Have fun,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |
Conservative Libertarian         |   1976 Red / White / Blue (and rust)
Life Member of the NRA           |  "Bicentennial" IHC Scout II Traveler
WA Arms Collectors               |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |          International Scout
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | Jeep owners... you wouldn't understand!