Freeze plug R&R

Howdy Digesters,

The freeze plugs on my 4-152 are going from a slow seep to some serious
dripping. Does anyone have any tips on removing and replacing these freeze
plugs with the engine still in the truck?
I was thinking of maybe drilling a hole in them, inserting a self-tapping
screw and then using a slide hammer to jerk them out. Don't know if there's
enough clearance on the side of the motor to do that though.
I also thought of draining the coolant, replacing with plain water, park it
and wait for Mother Nature to take its course but it don't get that cold here.
;>) Besides, the block always cracks before the so-called freeze plugs blow.

Roy Ireland
'65 Scout 80
Tucson, AZ
rlireland@domain.elided