32's on my 65 Scout 80

At the risk of starting another tire thread, I would like to announce that I
got a set of brand new Cooper Super Traction Tread 750 16's. These are the old
school lug type tires often used on the rear end of duece-and-a-halfs and the
like. Its a pretty mean tread, comprising of Super Swamper depth outlugs, and
a siped center section with equally deep lugs, but spaced much closer togethor
for snow traction. Anyway, they are 8 ply bias belteds, so you radial fans
watch out, I think I could drive over nails without busting one of these
babies.
Anyway, to my real question of sorts... I mounted one of the tires on my truck
as soon as I got home, and it has become readily apparent that in addition to
some minor fender well rubbing, the tires do hit the leaf springs and plow
mounting frame at full lock. I know I can move the stops out, but that would
give way to an even lamer steering radius. I am already planning on doing a
little bit of grinding, and perhaps even moving of the plow fram forward to
get it out of the way. However, it has become apparent that, contrary to
popular belief, a lift of some type is going to have to be incorporated into
my plans just to clear these 32"x7.5 babies. Am I correct in assuming that a
shackle lift will not help with the steering rub problem? A body lift
certainly won't, so springs may be my only option. Anyone with experience in
these matters, please chip in. Thanks,
I'm headed back out to the garage to take a look at things again.
Devin Smith
'65 Scout 80 turbo