AMCs

Very few AMC 401s enjoyed a manual trans behind them, so few in fact that
it is unusual (Perhaps to strong) to find a 401 with the crank factory
drilled for the pilot bushing. I would doubt that the IH applications would
be different.

In 72 (plus or minus with AMC) the engine/bellhousing patterns were
standardized except for the 232s, the 258 and all the v8s shared a common
pattern through the remainder of AMCs life. In the late 70s, the tranny
side of some application bell housings were made to accept the standard
Ford trans, this makes swaping a 66-? ford T-18 into a jeep so easy, the
same would logically be true for IHs, In fact the easy way to install the
401 in a Scout would be to use the 401=>ford t-18=>adapter=>jeep dana
20/300, any of the AMC used automatics would slide in there inplace of the
t18 for those who prefer an auto. those would include the AMC cased turbo
400 (early 70s through about 80?), the 727 torque flite and the 9xx torque
flites. The other advantage of this approach is that you then need find
replacement jeep parts rather than IH ( a jeep Dana 300 is about half of a
new IH Dana 300).

That's about all I know, BTW 401s were discontinued (more or less) in about
78 so if you find a good one, get two.

Worth every penny of my $.02 worth huh

Terry  Rust

"Man  is always and everywhere a blight on the landscape"
John Muir, founder of the Sierra Club