Re: Published Scout GVWR's

On Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:43:32 GMT jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
writes:

>OK... Here's what the line setting tickets say just as it appears.
Maybe
>Howard can provide an English translation.
>
>On the 76 Traveler w/HD springs (code 03803 for the front and 03194 for
the
>rear):
>
> 	          GVWR      FRONT      FR--REAR--RR
>AXLE-BRK 	             3,200             3,500
>SPRG-AUX             	             3,200             3,100
>TIRE-RIM                	             3,220             3,220
>G A W R                   6,200    3,200             3,100
>
>On the 77 Traveler w/standard springs (no codes mentioned):
>
>This is *hand written* as the very last line on the ticket (exactly as
shown)

>GAWR  6,200   3,100   3,100
>

>So it appears the limiting factor is something called "SPRG-AUX"
whatever that
>is.  Obviously something to do with the springs!  Isn't that interesting
that
>they both have the exact same GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) of
6,200...
>which I guess makes sense because they have the exact same axles.  Only
the
>springs are different.

This is your Scout's heavy duty truck heritage showing through.  This
little table shows up on every truck's lineset and it probably makes more
sense related to a larger truck, particularly the extra spaces for a
Forward Rear and a Rear Rear axle rating--seen a 6x6 Scout lately?

Why the brakes and axles are combined into one rating is puzzling. I'd
think it would have been easier to list them separately too.  The
SPRG-AUX line is the capacity of the springs and any auxiliary springs.
The GAWR is the minimum of the three figures in the column and the GVWR
should be the sum of the two GAWR's. 3100 + 3200 = 6200?????  My 78 is
the same, although I'd never looked at it before.  Chris Procyk reported
a similar case on his Wagonmaster:2900 + 5500 = 8200.

I think what we have is a technicality.  The Scout was sold as a 6200 GVW
vehicle, the W/M was advertised as a max. of 8200 and it appears that's
the highest they were rated, no matter what the components may have added
up to.  This is not the case with heavier trucks;the GVW is the sum of
the GAWR's.

The handwritten figures on the 77 are easier to explain.  Most Scouts had
a single page lineset, although some got quite full as your 77 did.  When
they got full, the GVWR table went onto page 2 and I've observed that the
plant wrote the GAWR info on page 1 to avoid having to deal with the
second page if there was no other info on page 2.  Chris also reported
the handwritten GVW at the bottom of his W/M L/S.

A side note on the rear springs--the HD rears on a Scout can easily be
id'ed by looking at them.  The standard springs are a normal 5 or 6 leaf
spring pack I believe--anyone care to comment on what they see?  The HD's
are a progressive spring with 3 heavy leaves and a 4th shorter leaf that
stops ahead of the clamp for the spring pack that may not even be
contacting the other leaves at the end until the truck is loaded--it's
almost an auxiliary spring.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]