Published Scout GVWR's

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>Mine must have the 3100# axles and springs because the sill plate says GVWR
>6200#s (hey, I can do the math!).  And, I guess that those are quite fine
>for the Traveler top I installed on it this summer too! No need to worry
>about making a change.

Tom,

I don't have my Line Setting Tickets with me at work, but I've observed the
following...

1. My 76 Traveler has optional heavy duty springs from the factory AS
INDICATED BY THE LINE SETTING TICKET CODES.  The listed GVWR on the line
setting ticket is like 3200# front, 3100# rear, 6200# total.

2. I can tell my 77 parts Traveler (mfg. in Dec 76) has thinner / lighter
looking springs and has no indication of having the optional heavy duty
factory spring package from the factory.  From the difference between my 76
Traveler and my 77 Traveler, I can visually identify the difference between
the springs.  On the line setting ticket for this 77 Traveler, the GVWR is
listed something like 3100# front, 3100# rear, 6200# total.

3. In comparing the GVWR's listed on the line setting tickets, I conclude
that they have little or nothing to do with the actual spring selection.  I
assume there's some other limiting factor IH used to come up with a GVWR...
like the axles, brakes or legal liability limits.  The listed GVWR's on my
two line setting tickets are virtually the same, yet they have completely
and obviously different springs.  The bottom line is that the GVWR is NOT
an indicator of what spring option you have from the factory... only visual
identification or the line setting ticket codes will tell you for sure.

Just something to keep in mind.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |