Does anybody read the digest on the weekends?

>A side note on the rear springs--the HD rears on a Scout can easily be
>id'ed by looking at them.  The standard springs are a normal 5 or 6 leaf
>spring pack I believe--anyone care to comment on what they see?  The HD's
>are a progressive spring with 3 heavy leaves and a 4th shorter leaf that
>stops ahead of the clamp for the spring pack that may not even be
>contacting the other leaves at the end until the truck is loaded--it's
>almost an auxiliary spring.
>
>Howard Pletcher
>Howteron Products Scout Parts

Howard and others,

  Do the older "standard" springs ride much better then the newer HD units?

  Right now I'm using the original HD leafs on my 1980 Scout with a
spring-over.
I pulled out the 4th auxiliary spring to make my Scout sit a little lower
in the back. 2 weeks ago I had it loaded down with all my camping/hunting
gear and 2 Elk, and it still sat level. I guess the auxiliary spring is for
bringing home a couple of IH392's <g>.

  I have an extra set of springs from a 1974 Scout, with the 5 or 6 leaf
rear springs. If these springs will give a better ride I'll swap them
in...What do ya think? They look serviceable, and the Scout I took them off
sat level.

  Months ago I called around and got the spring rates (in ft-lbs per inch)
for Trailmaster, Triangle, etc. Howard, do you have anything on the factory
springs in your IH library? Thanks in advance.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs
1980 Scout built for wheel'n
Springover with custom cross-over steering
304 stock, Holley 2300, Crane HI6 ignition
Close ratio T19, Dana 300 with 4-1 kit
Dana 44 front, Detroit Locker, twisted and turned
Dana 60 rear, Detroit SoftLocker, Fullfloating, disk brakes