Re: A clarification.

Rick,

On the subject of wheel alignment.  Toe-in is a function of a number of
things, most important is tire type.  Radials require a toe of plus or
minus 1/16th inch.  I've been using this on a half dozen vehicles from
Tempo to Scout with excellent results.  92,000 miles on the current
rubber on my Aerostar (Michelins).  The original Scout specs for this are
much further from zero, and reflect the Scout being equipped with bias
ply tires.  Check out the FAQ at the BinderBulletin.  There's a
description of how to do the toe in yourself.

Camber...  I would set it to zero.  I am going to install some tapered
shims by Moog behind the spindles on my Scout.  I will add this to the
FAQ after I get it completed.

Caster...  2 or 3 degrees would be nice.  It helps with self centering and
reduces wander.  I sometimes wonder how much of the wander is caused by
loose front end parts, including the rag joint.  Mine doesn't seem to
wander.  Tracks true, even when braking. But... Setting this may cause
front drive shaft U-joint problems if your Scout is lifted.  It has to be
done with wedges so you have to take the U-bolts loose on the front axles.
It can also be done by "twisting" the front end.

Keep asking questiond.  We seem to be getting a bit excited  lately.
Dont' know why.  Maybe because John Hofstetter is on the road and not
here to to be Scoutmaster (that pun slipped out before I could help myself).

Steve
Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776