Re: Towing

In the beginning, Cyrus created the heavens............, no, no that's
wrong.

In the beginning of the Scout II, there were 2 sets of springs on the
front--2000# standard, and 2400# HD.  In the rear, there was a 2000#
standard, 2000# HD, and 2400# progressives. The 2000# springs were rather
mushy, but there is not a lot of difference between the two heavier
springs.

By 1972, the standards were 2500# front, 2700 rear, HD 3200/2700.

 With the XLC models in 75, the standards were dropped, the HD springs
which were now standard were rated at 3100# for the front and rear, with
a 3200# front and the progressive rears at 3100# as an option.  I don't
know that the springs changed that much, but the rating did somehow!
These were available on all 3 Scout models.  The Traveler wasn't any
heavier than a 100" or a Traveler.

I don't think that the trailer packages on the Scout changed the
springs--it was mostly a wiring harness and possibly the equalizer hitch.

I'm not sure if the alternator was a part of the trailer package either,
but if you got air, you got the 62 Amp in place of the 37 Amp standard
whether you got the tow package or not.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:41:38 GMT jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
writes:
>In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided>
>blurted out:
>
>>But, the heavy duty springs you refer to: Mine came from the factory as
>>Terra and I seem to remember that Terra's had the heavy duty springs. I
>>also seem to remember something about heavier alternator, battery and
>>radiator as being part of a "tow package" that was standard on the
Terra,
>>but perhaps that is wishfull thinking on my part.
>
>Do you have the line setting ticket on your Terra?  If so, e-mail me the
>codes on the springs and I'll look them up in the IH parts manual for
what
>type they are.  I think there *might* be some misconception about
springs
>used on the Traveler / Terra due to the "XLC" designation applied to
most
>of these models.  The IH springs are pretty heavy duty to start with in
>order to get the XLC designation, but there was still yet an optional
heavier duty spring package.  I'm sure Howard might be able to clear up
the
>differences.  Anyway... that's what my Traveler has... the really heavy
>springs... damn near like a main battle tank in ride!  OK... not quite.
>
>As far as I can tell, my Traveler never had a trailer towing packaging
>installed at the factory.  The line setting ticket shows no such package
or
>high output alternator, etc.  I suppose whoever originally ordered it
>intended to carry heavy loads, but not necessarily tow a trailer.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]