Re:Landry's Trans cooler

John,

	I installed a similar size cooler in the exact same spot
and have noticed the same temprature increase. I only have the stock guage
but it used to read about 1/4 to 1/3 in normal conditions except for in
traffic here in the summer when it's over 100. Now it reads about 1/2 when
driven for more than 20 minutes unless it's below 80 outside and I'm
moving along (creating more airflow) It seems as if the addition of the
new thermastat (Robert Shaw) has made it average a higher temp too but the
guage never goes above 3/4 and it used to in heavy traffic and  trail
driving in the heat. I almost want to rig a removable electric fan that I
can mount on the front of the grill and operate with a switch in the cab
when I'm poking along on a trail and need more air flow.

An interesting observation... the engine temperature has *increased* on
average by maybe 5 degree F.  I attribute this to the transmission cooler
emitting heat and being in *front* of the radiator.  The resulting heated
air from the cooler then passes through the engine coolant radiator adding
more heat load.  Just a guess.  With my engine coolant filter running wide
open, the transmission cooler and a 180 degree thermostat, my engine
temperature when cruising down the freeway is typically 190 degrees F.
Shutting off the valve to the coolant filter causes the temperature to
drop
as much as 15 degrees (before the addition of the transmission oil
cooler).

				Mark A. Pepe

University of Arizona					  Tucson, Arizona

			     mpepe@domain.elided

*Music Education Major*Tuba Player Extraordinaire*Concord Blue Devils Alum
*Sonora Desert Scouts Member *and much much more *blah blah blah*