Re: Towing

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>But, the heavy duty springs you refer to: Mine came from the factory as a
>Terra and I seem to remember that Terra's had the heavy duty springs. I
>also seem to remember something about heavier alternator, battery and
>radiator as being part of a "tow package" that was standard on the Terra,
>but perhaps that is wishfull thinking on my part.

Do you have the line setting ticket on your Terra?  If so, e-mail me the
codes on the springs and I'll look them up in the IH parts manual for what
type they are.  I think there *might* be some misconception about springs
used on the Traveler / Terra due to the "XLC" designation applied to most
of these models.  The IH springs are pretty heavy duty to start with in
order to get the XLC designation, but there was still yet an optional
heavier duty spring package.  I'm sure Howard might be able to clear up the
differences.  Anyway... that's what my Traveler has... the really heavy
springs... damn near like a main battle tank in ride!  OK... not quite.

As far as I can tell, my Traveler never had a trailer towing packaging
installed at the factory.  The line setting ticket shows no such package or
high output alternator, etc.  I suppose whoever originally ordered it
intended to carry heavy loads, but not necessarily tow a trailer.

As an aside, since I'll be doing more trailer pulling now (Tulare here I
come) I installed a Tekonsha transmission oil cooler on the Traveler this
past weekend.  It's not very large... about 3/4" x 6" x 11" with a self
regulating flow control bypass orifice to help the transmission oil
properly warm-up.  I mounted it to the lower driver's side of the radiator
front using the dreaded plastic ties.  The cooler is in line *after* the
oil cooler built into the radiator.

An interesting observation... the engine temperature has *increased* on
average by maybe 5 degree F.  I attribute this to the transmission cooler
emitting heat and being in *front* of the radiator.  The resulting heated
air from the cooler then passes through the engine coolant radiator adding
more heat load.  Just a guess.  With my engine coolant filter running wide
open, the transmission cooler and a 180 degree thermostat, my engine
temperature when cruising down the freeway is typically 190 degrees F.
Shutting off the valve to the coolant filter causes the temperature to drop
as much as 15 degrees (before the addition of the transmission oil cooler).

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model