Re: HOLLEY CARBS

>     Just think I spent the 178 bucks so I would not have to deal with
> rebuilding and troubleshooting; I should have just went to a junkyard
> and got a rebuild kit it would have saved me a lot of hassle and time.
> Oh well another lesson learned.

Amen Matt. Amen.

I do not trust rebuilt carbs, unless I did them myself. There are so many
little nuances, but if you are observant and carefull, you can work around
all of them.

The 2 BBL Holley on my Scout got rebuilt last year. I found out that the
DPO (or someone) had rebuilt the thing and used the wrong gasket between
the throttle base and the carb body. It had a very small vacuum leak
between the two, right where the vacuum advance attachment was. In
rebuilding and fixing that, I went from twelve years of 10 and 11 MPG with
my 304 to 14 and easily passing smog! Wish I had done that years ago!

I purchased a rebuilt Tquad for my motorhome. It was rebuilt by Holley so I
figured it couldn't be too bad. It ran O.K., but the tailpipe emissions
were off the scale, literaly. Comparing my Holley "rebuilt" with the
emissions passing Tquad off of Hofstetter's Terra that I borrowed showed me
that the stupid rebuilders put the wrong phenolic resin body on my Tquad.
It is leaking fuel out of the fuel bowl between the body and the top and
bottom plates because the body isn't the shape that matches those plates!

I talked to a pro mechanic last weekend. He said he hated Tquads and has
rebuilt many. Says he charges $300 to do so. I paid $230 for the rebuilt
that has the wrong parts in the first place. This mechanic told me he has
seen rebuilts with the wrong parts internally installed on all makes. Told
me to buy a new, smog approved Holley 4160 to replace the Tquad, even if it
isn't "motorhome" approved.

Tom H.