HOLLEY CARBS

    Okay I recently purchased a remanufactured carb from Holley.  It was
a single barrel for my 4cyl 196.  The carb on it before was a 2 bbl
Weber which came with the Scout when I bought it a month ago and was too
under powered to for my engine.  So I found out which single barrel carb
I needed; order it; waited a week; paid 178 bucks and got a piece of
@#%!

    The damn thing hesitated every time I hit the gas.  So I finally
took it apart and found that the metering block had some type of
corrosion all over it which is why it my accelerator pump would not
work.  I can't believe someone put this thing together like that. And to
top it off the when I opened up the bowl the float was not even
secured.  And a little ball bearing was rolling around.  I had an old
single barrel in my pile of parts which leaked gas in the bowl chamber
and took the metering block out of that.  And viola!  IT WORKED!  Now
Monday I am going to try to get some compensation from Holley.  Wish me
luck!  I plan to send the faulty part back in hopes for a partial
refund.  I will keep you posted for those interested.

    Just think I spent the 178 bucks so I would not have to deal with
rebuilding and troubleshooting; I should have just went to a junkyard
and got a rebuild kit it would have saved me a lot of hassle and time.
Oh well another lesson learned.

Matt in SF