RE:Speakers 6x9 or Round????

 Ed Kraus <Edkraus@domain.elided> Typed:

>Question: which speakers would fit and work better on the side kick
>panels of a Scout II?  A 6x9 speaker or a Round say 5 inch?  I have
>never installed nor know the sound difference I have my new Crutchfield

>Magazine out now trying to decide on a cheap speaker thats loud enought

>to over come the Scouts noise level.  I also see that they now sell
>Water proof baffles for your speakers to sit in $8.00 each not bad if
>they work...

On my 1980 the rear speakers are factory mounted behind the doors on the
sides. They are 5 1/4" and the middle of the speaker lines up about the
same level at the horizontal part of the back seat. The front speaker
(yes singular) is in the center of the dash behind a louvered opening.
In general 6 1/2 speakers will generally fit in the same area as 5 1/4's
with minor fitting, but always check the depth available. Rings are
available to move speakers outward from too shallow mountings but are
tough to get them to look good. Further back behind the seats there
should be room for 6x9's but wait until you put in that roll bar so they
aren't blocked by the bars. Some dim memory reminds me that someone had
mentioned between the bars as a workable location but I can't remember
who. Watch out for paper cone speakers (you want as much waterproof as
you can get - Pinelands) and get the poly ones instead. They hold up
better and the baffles do work, just seal them well to the speaker.
Crutchfield has no listing for the Scouts (web page or by phone). I've
been partial to JBL and Polk speakers and had good results. The prices
in the current Crutchfield flyer are a bit confusing JBL GTO502 (5 1/4)
$79.99, GTO602 (6 1/2) $69.99, GTO962 (6x9) $69.99 ??? They also list
wedge style boxes, hmmm boxed 6x9's mounted higher between the roll bars
on the side.... Generally the larger spkr sizes have wider frequency
response and handle more input power. Best of luck with the interior
refurbish and sound deadening

Matt Palguta
Somerset, PA
--

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?