Re: Rear main, What a pain

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Mark A Pepe <mpepe@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure it is my rear main since most of the
>oil is leaking out of the starter area. I will however probably replace
>the pan gasket too though since the previous owner used what looks like
>six tubes of of permatex RTV ( the blue stuff). Anyway it will probably be

Mark,

Don't forget the valve cover gaskets.  I've discovered that the valve cover
gaskets can seep toward the lower rear edges where the gaskets are
continuously submersed in oil.  The resulting seep will run down behind and
between the exhaust manifolds, onto the starter and will drip on the rear
sides of the engine.  The rear main will drip more to the center rear of
the pan.  Since you're going at it, do all the gaskets you can reach...
valve covers, pan, rear main seal... and if you're really energetic, pull
the intake manifold and do the valley pan gaskets.

Regards,

John L.

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |