Re: Net probs and Scout probs

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Tom Mandera wrote:

> OK.  On my '72, 304V8, I've noticed that I can push the pedal slowly to
> moderately, and it runs great.  Go from idle to WOT, and it starts
> accelerating.. *stops*... then pauses a moment.. then VRROOM it roars.  I
> *thought* it was a shot power valve.. someone said it's just out of
> adjustment.. which makes sense as well.

Tom,

This one is simple.  You need more gas fromt the accelerator pump.
'Course you have no way to get it from a '70s OEM carb.  They're made
non-adjustable on purpose.  But that is a *classic* symptom you describe.

The answer is a carb that can be adjusted, or, just move your foot
slowly. My son and I have had this discussion.  This last technique works
better for an old fart.

When you snap the throttle open, the airflow accelerates much faster than
the gas flow.  Thus you get a lean mixture and the engine stalls till the
gas catches up with the air.  The accel pump is specifically to compensate
for this. If you give it enough gas to really accelerate well, then of
course the tailpipe mixture goes out of wack and the EPA cries Foul!

Steve