Re: Net probs and Scout probs

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Joseph M. Shaw, II wrote:

> but doing the same *********, #######!!!! thing.  It starts off okay,
> but as it starts to pick up revs it hesitates, with a complete lack of

OK.  On my '72, 304V8, I've noticed that I can push the pedal slowly to
moderately, and it runs great.  Go from idle to WOT, and it starts
accelerating.. *stops*... then pauses a moment.. then VRROOM it roars.  I
*thought* it was a shot power valve.. someone said it's just out of
adjustment.. which makes sense as well.

This isn't the same phenomena, is it?

> ignition.  When it does fire, it seems to me like it's "pinging."  That
> is really what the sound is like is a "ping."  If I floor it it does not
> do it, but at really slow to gradual acceleration, it does it the
> majority of the time.  On occasion, it will do it five or so times

Is this with a load, or unloaded?  Is it a ping, or more of a "gurgle"?

> before it gets over the RPM point where it is better again, which causes
> a major hesitation in acceleration-not comfortable to be pulling out
> into traffic knowing this is a possibility.  I think it would be fine on

Over a year ago, when I drove my '72 daily, I noticed a hesitation coming
off idle.. I would accelerate from a stop light, and it would go... then
coast.. then roar ahead.  I now attribute this to the mis-adjusted
powervalve.  Again - is this what you're experiencing?

> started doing this, this is how it started and progressed to where it
> would never get over 25 miles per hour because it would "stall" so much.

Hmm.. didn't have this problem except when I rebuilt the carb and put the
spring over the nipple for the power valve in upside down... barely run,
but it'd still smoke the tires..

Did Tom H. find/fix anything wrong with the distributor and advance?

Where is your timing set?  While the shop was putting my carb on the '72
(Hey, after 3 tries and 3 failures, I had a camping trip coming up... ),
they had to advance the timing 16 degrees to get it to run right..

> ('73, AT, AC).  I am really about at my wit's end and am thinking about
> tossing the damn thing.

All you'll do is throw your back out if you try to do that... do you ANY
idea how much (even a rust bucket) Scout II *weighs*?

But, if you do throw it, might as well see if you can make it land in my
backyard..

> I am beginning to lean toward it being an electrical thing.  It does
> seem to get worse when it gets warmed up too much, which makes me leary
> of taking it on the highway at all to really test drive it. This also
> last about ten or fifteen minutes until it got good and warm, then would
> hesitate if I was not accelerating-which meant slow-down-speed-up
> driving, or driving at 90 miles an hour.  Once warmed up, it would do it
> at low speeds.  When on the freeway at high speeds it would be so bad
> that it would begin to "Buck" quite violently when the micro-stalls"
> would come too close together, making me feel like an ass, and
> occasionally making me feel unsafe.

Maybe you should warm it up and see what electrical gizmos feel warm...
Goldbox... ignition wires... wouldn't be a faulty coil wire that, as the
truck warms up, starts to short out against the block?  Or a bad coil
doing something similar..

> So, that's my cheery, inspirational message for the evening!  I only
> hope that I made you all feel better about your plots in life, as you
> have not been unlucky enough to have come into contact with this spawn
> of the devil disguised as a Binder!

Wow.. and I thought I have a helluva time when I work on my Scout... like
messing up the threads on the front differential bearing cap just days
before my first big 4x4 Jamboree trail riding trip..

So you want to come over and help me swap engines next weekend?...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs
Borrowed a carb-mount --> eye hook engine hoist adapter thingy tonight,
and a come-a-long...