Re: Net probs and Scout probs

Joseph,

John, Tom, does this sound like the trouble we used to always have with
carb engines back in the '70s?

This sounds a bit like my 345 when I have the timing set to 0 BTDC.  Mine
works much better at 15 BTDC, 12 for all-around, oh yeah I run premium
gas.  15 pings on entrance ramps in warm weather (big surprise there,
huh?)  Remember timing was set for EPA tests, not to get the engine
running properly.  They couldn't play the games we can now with computers.

Joseph, have you installed an oxygen sensor like J Landry?  John L. could
this be a mixture problem??  They always ran so lean back in the '70s
that people got a *lot* of burnt valves, and they stumbled a lot.
Remember the lean surge anytime you tried to drive at a steady speed?
Remember stalling or at least lurching every time you hit the gas fast to
pull out in traffic. The accelerator pumps were set too lean, again for
the EPA.  I've even noticed this on some modern multi-port injection
systems where they are tuning for economy.

John H., Tom H., John L.  Any ideas here?  Sounds like he's really done a
lot.  Even scraped carbon from the pistons and heads.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776