Re: Net probs and Scout probs

Michael,
   O.K. first off you said you had points, so you don't have a Gold Box
with points. So, that is not the problem.
   Are you sure you have the original ignition system in the Scout? I.E.
where the points in there from the factory? Is there maybe a gold box
hanging on the firewall with nothing hooked to it?
   I don't have a specific answer for you per say. I will tell you a
story. I had a similar trouble with my 79. When I bought it someone had
switched out the original distributer with a points one. Well, the shaft
bearing was shot so my father and I went to the junk yard and pulled a
gold box set-up out of a Travelall. I put this in and it ran for a
while. Then the box went so I saped it for another used one. It ran
again for a while. Then I started to have problems like you describe. It
got so bad it just flat out refused to start at all. I took it to my
mechanic that did my engine rebuild and he played with it for about a
week and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.
   So, what I ended up doing was towing it home and getting so POed that
I took the day off of work and started reading every book I had on the
ignition systems. That is when I found that the 79 year IH had done away
with the gold box Holley and used the Prestolite. So I said, Screw it,
I'm going to start this from the beginning with what is supposed to be
on this thing. So I went to NAPA and got a rebuilt Prestolite for $180
or so (take a core with you, any old distributer will do) and popped
that bad boy in and turned the key and it started right up and ran like
a charm.
    I have no idea what was wrong with the old set-up. But, I do know
that Prestolite fixed it right up and haven't had a problem with it
since. (Although, I am going to start carrying a spare modual for the
Prestolite)
    What I'm getting at is if you can afford it, go get yourself a new
Prestolite and pop that in. I thing it will fix your problems.
   Oh, next time I need a special speaker to come for something, you are
right there on the top of my list. <G>

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided

   1979 Scout II 345, Auto, 3.07's, Trak-Lok. One Ugly and Trusty Truck
covered in mud! Thinking about not washing the truck until Nationals!

1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.