Re: Lots of Questions!

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:34:39 -0600 Matt and Stacy Sopher <sopher@domain.elided>
writes:
>IH all!
>Here is a list of questions that I need to ask, cause I'm tearing my
>hair out thinking over them!
>1.    On a AMC 304, if it was bolted up to an automatic tranny, would
>the flywheel be the same as a standard? AND, if it is the same size
>flywheel as a Scouts, which clutch assembly should I buy?

If AMC does it the same as IH, there isn't really a flywheel with the
auto, just a sheetmetal driveplate that the torque converter bolts onto
with the starter ring gear welded to the outer edge.  I'd wonder if the
IH flywheel from the 6 cyl wouldn't work with the 304.  Standard with the
6 was a 10 1/2" clutch, the flywheel may also be drilled for the 11" that
was used with the V-8's and may have been optional for the 6, but I don't
know for sure.

>3.    What year Scout II would I need to get out the power steering
>assembly for my Scout 800? AND what all would I need to get? How much
>"modifying" would I need to do?

Any Scout II should have basically the same P/S Gear, other than metric
fittings on the 1980 gears.  It won't necessarily be a bolt-on mounting
as you'll need to at least redrill the frame, possibly make a mounting
bracket, and if the P/S gear is substantially thicker than your manual,
you may reduce the turning radius  as I think I remember the tire
polishing the case of the gear in a full turn to the right on my 800.
Also, you should be careful about trying to force your axle ends beyond
the end of their travel as I suspect the Scout II gear has more travel at
the end of the steering arm to get the sharper turn of the Scout II,
although arm lengths may affect this too.

>10.    Steering wheel adapters for a smaller steering wheel? If I get
>power steering, I would love a smaller steering wheel!

The Scout II column was a Chevrolet Vega, so if you swap columns, smaller
wheels are available.  Don't know what fits the 800 column.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]