Re: Lots of Questions!

Matt and Stacy Sopher wrote:

> IH all!
> Here is a list of questions that I need to ask, cause I'm tearing my
> hair out thinking over them!
> 1.    On a AMC 304, if it was bolted up to an automatic tranny, would
> the flywheel be the same as a standard? AND, if it is the same size
> flywheel as a Scouts, which clutch assembly should I buy?
Cannot answer this one

 2.    Anyone replace their tired, worn out seats in their Scout with
> better, newer seats? What kind of seats would fit? Looking for bigger
> than Ricaro or Prelude type of seats( got a big butt!)

I have used Isuzu Trooper seats and they are almost a direct bolt in.

 > 3.    What year Scout II would I need to get out the power steering
> assembly for my Scout 800? AND what all would I need to get? How much
> "modifying" would I need to do?

Go to the Binder Bulletin and check the FAQ.Or better Yet order the back
issue that has all the answers to that question.

> 4.    On that note, could I replace the steering column with a Scout II?

Yes,but you will need to change the coding on the wiring for your turn
signals.For all the work involved you will get a anti- theft device if
you get the key to a later model column and may i suggest you get a
tilt.

> 5.    Is there any other columns I could replace it with? Could I get
> one out of a GM and just modify the "attachement" to the gearbox? Any
> ideas?

I have seen Ford columns used with success,you will have to change the
rag joint.
> 6.    Would rollbars out of a Jeep or Bronco fit early Scouts?

Yes you can use early J**P roll bars.Up to 73's i believe.
> 7.    Back to power steering, would I need to replace or modify my
> steering assembly, eg. steering arms, tie rods, etc?

Again let me direct you to the Binder Bulletin,For the small fee per
year you get a good little news letter with tons of info.Also check out
the Binder Bulletin web site.
> 8.    Any way to boost vacumm in my windshield wipers? Every time I hit
> the accelerator, they really slow down, so in snow storms, they stop!

Replace the vaccum cannister on your fuel pump and stop running the
wipers off of manifold vaccum.
> 9.    When you go to put a body lift on a Scout, do you remove the old
> mounts that are on the frame? One of mine is broken, they look dinky,  a
> upside down U-shape looking one just in front of the driver's side rear
> tire. But they are welded on. Would you put the mount on top of these?
> Safe?

Sounds as though you will have to replce that mount and check all the
others before under taking this job.Yes body lifts can be safe,and they
are the cheapest way to get a size or two bigger tire under a vehicle.
But remember when you raise the body you will have to lower a few
things,and lengthen your steering column,brake lines at the m/c,and if
you have a clutch you will have to adapt the linkage for the amount of
the lift.What year is your Scout?Some 800 series came with a factory 2
inch lift over stock setup.

> 10.    Steering wheel adapters for a smaller steering wheel? If I get
> power steering, I would love a smaller steering wheel!
> Thank you everyone for helping me out with my Scout. I have learned
> soooo much from you all!
It will depend on what steering column you use versus if an adapter is
readily avail.
Good luck,
Dennis